Building started

The concrete has only been drying for four days, but we figured as long as were careful it should be ok! So we cut three 2.7m pieces of 5×12.5 (eucalyptus comes in 5.4m lengths instead of the usual 2.7m) and drilled the holes to bolt them on. Even though I made a guide (I drilled a hole through a thick piece of wood with the drill press) to try and ensure the holes were vertical, it wasn’t very accurate because the wood isn’t cut very well – not only is it really bent, but it’s not very square either! We had to stop early though because it started raining during our picnic break! – the house was already able to shelter us from the rain though by putting a few roofing panels over one end of the foundation 🙂

We took the generator with us to the work area in a wheelbarrow so we can use power tools for cutting and drilling, but it’s only powerful enough to run a jig-saw not a circular saw (although we have to test that as a lot of people think that it should run one no problem). Unfortunately the jig-saw isn’t strong enough to cut the thick pieces of eucalyptus, so we have to use the slightly less accurate chain-saw for those cuts!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.